Below you will find our policy and procedures for cancellation of school bus transportation due to inclement weather for the areas served by the North East Tri-Board Student Transportation.
SCHOOL BUS UPDATES:
For the latest on school bus delays and cancellations, go to the following website.
If you would like to be notified via email when your child's bus has been cancelled or is delayed, subscribe by submitting your email address here.
Policy and Procedures for Cancellation of School Bus Transportation Due to Inclement Weather
The primary concern is the safety and welfare of pupils. Therefore, the Transportation Officer or designate may cancel transportation before the school day if significant risk exists for the safety of pupils. Every effort will be made not to have students transported to/from school in treacherous conditions. Cancellations are always for the entire day: routes cancelled in the morning will not operate in the afternoon and anticipated severe afternoon weather, based on reports from Environment Canada, may necessitate cancellations in the morning. The Directors of Education or designate may decide to dismiss the students early because of inclement weather.
1. Cancellation of School Bus Transportation BEFORE 7:00 am:
- 1.1 School bus operators who service the area(s) affected by the inclement weather will communicate with each other. The designated operator will contact the Transportation Officer or designate with their recommendation prior to 6:30 a.m.
- 1.2 The designated operator will consult with the Transportation Manager or designate to confirm that it is unsafe to transport the students to school.
- 1.3 When a decision is made to cancel transportation, then The Transportation Officer or designate will place a notification of all bus cancellations on the geoquery.netribus.ca website prior to 7:00 a.m.
- 1.4 A list of school buses that are cancelled for the three Boards in the North East Tri-Board Student Transportation, specifying areas affected, bus route numbers, and the individual schools it pertains to will be available under the Delays and Cancellations Notifications section of the website geoquery.netribus.ca
- 1.5 The Transportation Manager or designate will communicate with all radio stations and post notifications on the website, prior to 7:00 a.m. and provide the following information:
1.6 The Transportation Manager or designate will inform the Directors of Education or designate.
1.7 Where transportation services have been cancelled, the Principal or designate will ensure that the school building is opened by 8:30 a.m. to accommodate those students who arrive.
- 1.5.1 School buses are cancelled for the three Boards in the North East Tri-Board Student Transportation, specifying areas affected, and where appropriate, the individual schools it pertains to and companies involved;
- 1.5.2 Schools will remain open unless otherwise posted;
- 1.5.3 It is the responsibility of the parent to determine whether or not it is safe for a student to leave for school at any time particularly when severe weather conditions prevail. It is the responsibility of the parent to get the student to and from school.
2. Criteria Used for Inclement Weather & Cancellation of Buses:
- 2.1 Student transportation will be cancelled in an area when at least one of the following conditions exists within a weather corridor:
- 2.2 The ambient temperature (without wind chill) is equal to or colder than -36 C based on Environment Canada;
- 2.3 Road conditions are deemed unsafe for travel by the school bus operator or the Transportation Manager or designate;
- 2.4 Inclement weather is expected in the area as per reports from Environment Canada and it has been determined by the School Bus Operators and the Manager of Transportation or designate that the potential inclement weather may pose a risk in safely transporting students during the afternoon route from School to home;
3. Early Dismissal Caused by Inclement Weather:
- 3.1 School bus operators who service the area(s) affected by the inclement weather will communicate with each other. The designated operator will contact the Transportation Manager or designate with their recommendation.
- 3.2 The Transportation Manager or designate will communicate his/her recommendation to the Directors of Education or designate concerned.
- 3.3 The Directors of Education or designate will decide if the students will be released prior to 11:15 am whenever possible.
- 3.4 The Directors of Education or designate will inform the Transportation Officer or designate of their decision.
- 3.5 The Transportation Manager or designate shall inform the bus operators, appropriate supervisory officers or designate. The Supervisory Officer will inform the Principal or designate.
- 3.6 The procedures outlined in the school plan shall also include:
- 3.6.1 Alternative accommodations for those pupils whose parents are not at home (up to and including grade 6).
- 3.6.2 Alternative accommodations for those pupils with special needs who may be at risk due to the adverse weather.
- 3.6.3 Names of staff members to remain at school in the event that pupils are stranded overnight.
- 3.6.4 A communication plan